Monday, May 31, 2010

Bow & Arrow Set: $29 ... Blowing Your Son's Mind: Priceless

"Daddy! Watch this! I'm a beast with my bow and arrow."
Hold up! Hold up man! Call your shot.
Anybody can just shoot.
What's your target?

"Um. Um. That tree."
He draws back the bow. Aims. Releases. The arrow wobbles through the air. Off to the left and short. He drops his head and laughs sheepishly.
Man ... let me show you how to do it.
(smiles, rolls his eyes with an "oh boy, here we go look", and hands me the bow.)
Aight. Now.
I'm only going to show you this once.
You know when I was a kid I was so nice with the hunting skills
they called me Jaguar's Paw.

(laughs) "Yeah right Dad! Ha! Apocalypto! I bet! You can't shoot!"
Nah? OK. We'll see.
Since you are going to make me show you how nice I am.
See that tree?
"Yeah"
See that big leaf sticking out near the bottom?
"Uh .. (laughs) ... yeah."
See that Lady Bug crawling across that leaf?
"(cracks up) ... Yeah!"
Well ... I'm going to shoot him between the eyes.
(he falls out laughing and steps back out of the way)

I look to the sky like I'm checking the wind. I lick my finger and hold it up in the air, brow furrowed in concentration. After nearly a full minute, I draw back the bow dramatically. Take a deep breath. Aim. Release. The arrow spirals perfectly towards the target like in a Robin Hood movie. It goes through the exact leaf I was talking about and sticks to the tree. Fwwwwtooom! [luckiest shot of my life. couldn't do it again for a million dollars.]

Little brother's jaw drops open. I drop the bow to the ground and walk into the house like it wasn't nothing.
Bring me half that Ladybug when you come inside.

4 comments:

Seven Half Store said...

Beautiful.

Pink said...

LOL Cute!

Kalena said...

Love this! I got my daughter thinking I've got super powers too. Not sure how, but it goes a long way for her peace of mind and behavior. Awesome story!

Denmark Vesey said...

Kaaaaaaalena!

Hey.

Where you been?