Friday, April 02, 2010

Thank God For Sistas

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...
When I learned he died the other day, DV, yours was the first blog I came to 'cause I wanted to see what your azz had to say. You have more posts about him now, but at the time you only had two.

One was a nice, classic obituary. In the other, though, you were classic DV, even though he's dead.


You reposted part of a 2009 conversation of Undercover Black Man saying "Yo DV, go eat your veg-gies while I grub on some scrapple and head cheese. Yeah, I might get cardiovascular disease, but when I die they'll still be talkin' 'bout me..."

Both y'all talk shit, and part of your response was, "When you die, I keep living."

At first I thought it was grandiose and tacky, but also, haunting.

I kept imagining what might have been different if he'd slightly modified his eating habits back when y'all had that verbal sparring exchange... with him eating soup and salad for lunch instead of the probably fast food he got during his busy days.

That fast food along with the other greasy meals was his fast ride to the grave. Damn.

And the more I thought about it, the more I thought how the most painful lessons aren't learned from a book. He's dead and that's horrible, and that light, fun lil' conversation the two of you had is like a ghost of the past to warn the living of the future.

I don't think David Mills aka Undercover Black Man, the man we knew, would have had it any other way.

8 comments:

uglyblackjohn said...

"You run a hot fucking club" (said Mills) is still the most apt description of your spot.
While Mills (and the rest of us) run our own clubs (blogs) often doing and saying what we may be expected to do - this is the after hours spot where everyone gets to do or say what they WANT to say or do.
Where else would an MD be called on his work?
An engineer on his understanding.
Or a noted writer for his skills?

Mills was Frazier to your Ali.
Bird to your Magic.
The rivalry is what made both points of view more valid.

SeeNew says that we are closest with those with whom we share a "communion of persons".
If the ideas, concepts and theories being debated on this site are "food for thought" then we all dine together.
Some get served like a good patron who never requires reservations - other 'get served' like a weak dance crew.

While I don't like the Head c
Cheese favored by Mills - I'll miss talking shit about him for eating it and expecting everyone else to enjoy the same.

(But yeah DV, I gotta' agree with the others - Good on you for these last few posts.)

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Thanks for the shoutout,DV, but I don't look a thing like that.

Amenta said...

I am shocked to read about David Mills, the Undercover Blackman. I just read of his passing. How eerie the comment posted by Kit and he repost of the comments from last year. Makes me wonder if things had been different just as Kit mentioned.

Peace, mi gente!

Denmark Vesey said...

SISTA KIT!

"but I don't look a thing like that."

LOL.

Aight Aight.

But I didn't say you looked like that.

I said that's how you make me feel.

Denmark Vesey said...

What's happening Ensayn1?

Yeah. Many people said the same thing. Eerie.

But I think we should be careful with the whole "things could have been different" angle.

I don't think UBM would have any regrets. Hell, given the chance, I'm not sure he would do anything differently.

Everybody wasn't meant to live to see 80.

And apparently some not 50.

Must be a method to the madness.

God don't make no mistakes.

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Cool. All this made me feel like writing a post today, not on UBM per se. but it's very related. If your ears start burning, it's 'cause I mentioned you in it.

Being Killed Slowly By The New Ignorance

Amenta said...

Very True DV, very true.

Plane Ideas said...

Thrasher
Disclosure ( I coined the label "one drop"'one drop rule" )for David during many of our rants on his blog..He called me a cockroach after I was mad that he would not develop my script and character I created Dr.Cukoo..I will miss our banter it was hot and heavy but I truly know he loved it..I kept him grounded..