Monday, March 29, 2010

Sistas Going To Work It Out - (Sasha Rolling With "Lyndon LaRouche")

Sasha said...
This reminds me of a conversation I had last week with my Dr. I went in for my annual check-up which of course lead to talk about family history. My father's side of the fam has a history of women's cancers. For the next 20 minutes, I listened to my physician encourage me to go to my family in hopes of getting a $3k genetic test for my grandmother to see if any of us possibly carry a particular gene for cancer. (Mind you, my doc had already mentioned this test to me at last year's visit.)

I really like my doctor and I enjoy a comfortable patient/doctor relationship with him. But what really bothered me was when he said, "If you have the gene, most of these cancers are preventable and we can discuss how you do that." Uh...okay, you can't tell me how to prevent them unless we spend $3k on this test?? I"m sitting here right now and I'm your patient. I don't get the golden information until my family spends this money? Seriously? Is this what practicing medicine has become?

As to D. Smith: After completely revamping my family's eating habits, I find that I spend about $400/month as well. No, you don't have to get ridiculous with it, it can be done on a budget by making small substiutions here and there. I have also noticed that when you stop buying garbage, the shopping goes much faster. :-)

8 comments:

D.SMITH said...

See? Once you eliminate all the unnecessary junk and cut it down to the basic needs, you don't end up breaking the bank at the grocery store and still get what you NEED (as opposed to what you want; big difference). Plus I have a seven and a two year old, which by design eat up everything in the house. Only now, they eat a whole lot more fruits and vegetables...which in turn gives them a lot more energy for a longer period of time than some funky sugar high...which results in a lot more tearing up of our house when they can't get outside. But it's worth it!

As for your doctor and his $3K Ancient Chinese Secret (although surely having nothing to do with the Chinese)...that's pretty ridiculous.

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

Yes save money by shopping at ethnic markets too!

Big Man said...

MR is right.

I just went to Chinese market to get some ginger.

They are selling it for $1.50 a pound.

At the regular market, it's double that cost.

Only problem is if you live in an area, like I do, where ethnic markets aren't that common.

stylisticMF said...

Beware of products imported from China, Mexico & India. They are usually irradiated. As a result, they last longer & can be priced less expensively.

Buy local! Farmer's Markets are a great place to buy local organic produce. The prices run similarly to grocery prices or maybe a little cheaper, but it's worth it to buy produce that has not been shipped all over the world.

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

StylisticMF, out here in CA, many ethnic stores get their goods from here. I've discovered that there are quite a bit of Sikhs in the Valley and other ethnic groups. They have their own farms and usually grow organically but without certification. They distribute their goods within their own ethnic groups so we are usually in the dark about things while they are saving lots of cash.

I went to the African Carribean market in town and the proprietor had a real life YAM from Ghana. I asked if it was organic and she laughed. She said that almost all the things she imports from Africa are grown organically but not necessarily certified.


So being in touch with someone who's familiar with the supply chain and asking questions can also save a person lots of money. I still trip off the fact that I saved so much money by going to the Indian/Fijian market.

Big Man coconut oil should not be very expensive at all. I get over a pound at a shot for about $3.49.

Sasha said...

I find that the added expense comes because obviously it's much cheaper to buy a prepackaged skillet dinner for $9, than it is to make it yourself without all the crap for $50. But honestly, there is such a joy that comes from watching my son eat (and really like) something healthy that I made with my own 2 hands. We still eat regular whole grain bread, but it's the 100% organic fruit spreads instead of jelly. It's organic veggie chips instead of regular chips and crackers. My new favorite drink: Green Goodness by Boathouse Farms. It looks like absolute crap, but it's soooo good!!

Denmark Vesey said...

Sasha ...

Did you notice the first thing the Plantation MD did was try to scare you with references to "bilateral masectomy" and "removal of your ovaries"?

These muhfuggas are sick.

Planting those kinds of seeds in women's heads to drum up revenue for Massa's medicine.

No wonder his patients / customer / victims are diseased, dying and cut up.

Is there any wonder his symbol is two serpents crawling up a staff?

Sasha said...

Yes. Where is the aspect of wellness? Where is that element of medicine that promotes health and prevention over treatment?