Friday, July 31, 2009

Being Denmark Vesey

EXT. Airport Arrivals Deck. Day. 3:48 PM

Traffic was a bitch getting to the airport. I've got the iPhone cradled between my ear and shoulder as I weave the whip between cars looking for a spot to stop. Aunt Connie is on the other line explaining that she is outside baggage claim #5. Damn. I'm at baggage claim #6. I can either exit the airport and immediately return ... or Aunt Connie can Walk This Way.

Boom! Just then the reverse lights come on one of those little Land Rover SUV's, and it begins the back and forth process of pulling out of a very tight space, leaving me just enough room to slip in head first. Cool. "Look here Aunt Connie, I'm stopping at baggage claim #6. If you can walk up a little bit, it will save us some time." Before she can answer, there is a tap on my driver side window. I look up to see a scowl faced black police officer on a bicycle. "Hold on Aunt Connie" I say into the phone. I put the cell down as I lower the window.

Before the window is half-way down I hear a gruff, impatient, fed up, tired: "What are you doing?!"

Uh. Oh. Already me and this muhfuggah have gotten off on the wrong foot. I don't like his tone. Who in the fuck does this pork eatin' geechy bastard think he's talking to, I ask myself. There's a pregnant pause as we just look at each other. He speaks again, this time his tone is even more harsh and frustrated "You can't park here."

Evenly, clearly and slowly I say "I'm not parked." Incredulously, I glance in my rear and side-view mirrors. My car is still half-way in the traffic lane. A little taken back by my tone and eye contact, the cop says "Well what are you doing?!"

Now, I really don't like this cat's tone. And he don't like me. Maybe because he's in a uniform and on a bike and I'm crisp and in a Benz. Maybe because he's full of processed food and his colon is festering a cancer while I'm a lean 185 pounds of organic vegetables. Whatever it is, we have the rapport of a lion and a hyena. He's got what looks like a Glock on his hip. I got a Baretta in the slot.

Just then the Land Rover completely vacates the spot. Now, it's apparent what I'm doing. It's apparent he's made a mistake. Instead of manin' up and moving on, this cat is trying to save face. I look him dead in the eye, and still don't respond. I simply take my foot off the brake and ease the car forward into the now vacant spot. He tippy-toes on his bicycle to stay even with my driver's window.

Without answering and without losing eye contact with the cop who is waiting for my answer, I pop the locks, open the door, get out the car, close the door and use my key to pop the trunk. Just then my beautiful aunt walks up to the car "Heyyyyyy Baby! Where my children at!? God it's hot out here! Be careful! My bag is heavy! You know them people charged me $45 talking about it's overweight!"

I smile at Connie and turn back to the cop. I say matter-of-factly, "I'm picking up my aunt."

He peddles off.

Is it Possible That What Went Down Between The Cambridge Cop and The "Half-White" Officially Approved Negro Representative Henry Gates ... Was a personal incident between two men, that really had no larger racial implications or Group Identity significance?

What went down between me and this cop was personal. Had he been white, Plantation Negros would assume it was an example of racism, not realizing they have transferred massive amounts of power and perceived entitlement to white men by eliminating the possibility that white men and black men can have personal clashes just as black men can with other black men, or white men can have with other white men.

Had I gotten hysterical, had my voice become high pitched, had I become upset, had I asked for his "badge number and name", had I said something like "This is because I'm a vegetarian in America!", my ass would have been locked up, and deservedly so. Bitchiness should never be tolerated in dudes.

Everything is not racial. Sometimes shit is just between men.

26 comments:

CNu said...

teach....,

GDAWG said...

Excellent!

Sasha said...

DV said: "Bitchiness should never be tolerated in dudes. Everything is not racial. Sometimes shit is just between men."

Quote of the effing year. Love it.

RJEsq said...

"Maybe because he's in a uniform and on a bike and I'm crisp and in a Benz."


Love it. Love it. Love it. Made my day. Say hi to Aunt Connie. :)

Anonymous said...

Checkout The tonight show with Heidi Klum Interview and the P diddy interview the same night on the late show. What Diddy said, did more for Black ppl than all all of your so called leaders could do.

Big Man said...

DV

I liked your initial argument better.

The issue wasn't about men having a dispute. That's what happens on the basketball court when niggas argue about fouls.

When you and a cop have a problem, it's about somebody who has been vested with authority by society assuming that somebody who does not have that authority should always obey them. And acknowledge their authority.

Period.

This situation is only complicated when you include the racial dynamics of America. Sometimes they arent' important, sometimes they are.

If a cop feels the need to fabricate a conversation with a woman warning about two anonymous black suspects, I'm going to suspect that race played a role in his decision making. If a cop makes up a line about "yo momma" I'm going to suspect that race played a role in his thinking.

I don't suspect this all the time, sometimes I just think it's a cop being a cop.

Anonymous said...

See...I am telling you that was just beautiful. Thanks for sharing that encounter with me...a great segue into a question for all of you real men. Help a sista out please...
My son is 18..and despite my maternal view of him..he is a man. A man who until Oct 5th is living with his mother..a mother who although loves him dearly has HIGH expectations of said son. Now, I have to admit, being my only child he has been afforded things that some would characterize as "spoiling"..I'll accept that. But, he is a great young man. Responsible, works at Red Lobster, loves God, kind and generous..respects authority and has an infectious smile..now here lies the issue..the negro can be LAZY! He hates cleaning his room and his bathroom..I am ready to put him and all his shit on the street..for real. Trying to maintain this mother/son relationship is becomming increasingly more difficult..no longer the little boy requiring, hell even insisting on my direction..now a man who no longer feels he needs my two cents.
How did you gentlemen handle the transition..the dance between mother and son..into adulthood...manhood? All wise counsel greatly appreciated..
the good nurse aka the bishops mama

Submariner said...

Everything is not racial.

Absolutely. But I would draw your attention to an important distinction. A citizen has less liberty in his car on a public street than in his own home. And while race may be an element in the Gates-Crowley affair which has been inappropriately sensationalized, I would think that you would recognize the potential abuse of authority.

RJEsq said...

I leave the counsel to those with children, but as a sister of a young man, I will tell you that this sentiment...

I am ready to put him and all his shit on the street..for real.

is happening all over this world. Its normal. and I've seen and heard that doing just that, i.e., shit on street, is often quite helpful!

Helped my little brother...a lot!!

Sasha said...

Anonymous, can you provide the link to the interview and/or give a synopsis of what was said?

CNu said...

co-sign RJ

it worked for me

shit on street = necessary right of passage

tough to do, but very necessary

necessity is the mother of responsibility good nurse.

everything else is conversation...,

Anonymous said...

Its Beretta not Baretta, thats a forgotten crime drama from the 70s!

Heckler & Koch sic

Denmark Vesey said...

No ... actually.

I got Baretta, the cop from the 70's, in the slot.

Constructive Feedback said...

[quote] He's got what looks like a Glock on his hip. I got a Baretta in the slot.[/quote]

He (likely) gots a Kevlar shirt. You got thin skin that is easily permeable by a slug.

He (might have) had a "marksman" sticker on his uniform. You (if you are lucky) have been to the shooting range a few times.

He has a police radio upon which he can call all of his homies. You had an iPhone which he would have eventually given back to you upon your release from jail when you got the rest of your personal items back.

Just be thankful that you played it safe. The female saved you from a beat down.

Denmark Vesey said...

"Just be thankful that you played it safe. The female saved you from a beat down." Constructive Feedback

The title of this post is "Being Denmark Vesey".

You must have thought it said "Being Constructive Feedback."

"Luck" don't keep you from getting beat down Festas.

Eye contact keeps you from getting beat down.

And 1,000 years of selective breeding doesn't hurt.

submariner said...

The thing is that I don't even like Skip Gates but I know if the circumstances had been essentially the same but if it were Kobe Bryant or Lil Wayne that had been arrested at their home that they would find no fiercer defender in the court of public opinion than Denmark Vesey.

CNu said...

The thing is that I don't even like Skip Gates

me either, so phukkem....,

1. Gates assed up.

2. You don't even like him.

3. Why bother to identify with him?

Denmark Vesey said...

2. You don't even like him.

3. Why bother to identify with him?


oooohhhhhh ....


ooohhhhhh.

Hell of a question.

Kobe or Lil Wayne wouldn't get locked up for essentially acting like a bitch.

A cop responding to Kobe's home would relate to him much the way NBA refs relate to him.

Like employees. (You can't teach that).

Lil Wayne is much deeper than "Skip" Gates.

Would never even have a problem like that.

submariner said...

You ever see Kobe's interrogation video? Not exactly a paragon of stoic masculinity.

As a matter of justice I don't need to identify with him .

"Would never even have a problem like that."- DV that's the whole point. Even Gates never had such a problem until he did as a sixty year old.

Denmark Vesey said...

More importantly Sub ...

Had Kobe or Gates been in a situation like that, I doubt either would chalk it up to being "a" black man in America.

I'm sure Lil Wayne would fine tune the causation meme by appropriately attaching it to his being a young rich virile black man in America.

Even Jack Johnson didn't chalk the bitter hostility he endured to merely being "a" black man in America.

He was JACK JOHNSON. That's why they hated him.

He was a certain type of black man in America. He did what the fuck he wanted to do, and didn't seek affirmation. It made him irresistibly attractive.

Gates ... is a dull square, who owes his everything to the Plantation. His claim to fame is that he has been endorsed by the establishment. That's it.

Outside of that little dumb ass "I'm part white!" DNA documentary, who cares about HL Gates.

Artistically he's had less of an impact on pop culture than has Keith Murray.

Kobe? Interrogation video? Nah. Never saw it. Read some account in the paper where he mentioned Shaq's name to the cop in an off the record kind of manner. Cop repeated it, and it became lore.

But homes had just tapped some crazy blond chick in Colorado who was now screaming rape.

He had reason to be a little nervous.

Cops run up on me breaking into MY OWN HOUSE - I'm cool as a cucumber.

I aint got nothing to worry about.

Big Man said...

DV

You really, REALLY need to listen to some more Lil Wayne.

That's all I'm going to say.

I get the sense you have only listened to the recent albums and not the old Cash Money stuff and the wide ranging mixtape stuff.

Denmark Vesey said...

Wrong again Big Man.

I've been listening to Lil Wayne ever since Slim flew me out to Atlanta and picked me up from the airport in a stretch Lexus Land Cruiser with the suede interior.

Juvey had just dropped "Ha" over that ridiculous Manny Fresh beat.
Must have been like 98, 99.

I suggest you listen to Wayne less, and try to feel a bit more.

You missin' the big picture.

Big Man said...

Hold on a sec, I missed this earlier.

Had Kobe or Gates been in a situation like that, I doubt either would chalk it up to being "a" black man in America.

I'm sure Lil Wayne would fine tune the causation meme by appropriately attaching it to his being a young rich virile black man in America.


So, is your problem with this whole issue the fact that Gates may have introduced his blackness into the situation, or the fact that blackness was discussed at all?

On some posts you talk about the problem with introducing blackness at all, on other posts you talk about the lack of credibility somebody like Gates has in introducing that issue. I actually agree with you to a certain degree on the latter point given some of the things I've read about Gates since this whole incident broke, but, as I have for several days, i disagree with on the idea that blackness wasn't a factor at all.

Thanks.

Denmark Vesey said...

My problem with the incident Big Man, is that Gates, by introducing the meme that his arrest was a function of his blackness - took a national policing problem - and reduced it to the some old, played out, "Oh Woe Is Me", cliched, simple minded, nonsensical "... cuz I'm Black!" routine.

Distracting people from larger issues.

As long as black people convert EVERYTHING to race - they will forever be trapped.

CNu said...

teach...,

Big Man said...

DV

I'm not sure that if Gates would have made this an issue about police power it would have jumpstarted a national discussion on police abuse.

I mean, the race thing definitely became a distraction, but the very idea of racial profiling discusses the abuse of power within police departments. The reason why racial profiling is an issue is because the police abuse the authority they've been vested with by society to handle crime and instead harass individuals of certain colors.

Besides, when this issue broke, Gates' did not make a big issue about his race, he focused on the fact that he was arrested for doing nothing wrong. The comments about race were drawn from the POLICE REPORT.

I keep bringing this up because this discussion became a race discussion because the police attributed comments to Gates that he has denied making. The police then leaked those comments to the media.

In addition, I've noticed that many, MANY people have rejected discussing the idea that no matter what Gates' arrest was wrong because he did nothing illegal. All across the country people justified his arrest because they believe he mishandled the situation. That he refused to acknoledge the realities of life in America. I've seen folks on this site and on others say that given the fact that the officer had a gun and badge, Gates should have known better than to challenge him. That tells me that folks are perfectly happy with the status quo when it comes to police power.

The race issue didn't prevent folks from discussing the police power issue, people didn't want to discuss that issue in the first place because it challenges their entire worldview about life in America. That's my theory.