Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Big Man said...
Why have American men and black men in particular so readily abdicated their roles as patriarchs in this society?

I'm a bit confused at this DV. I remember you getting pissed at Obama for taking shots at black fathers on Father's Day. I've always been under the impression that you believe too many negative stories are dedicated to the lives of black men instead of highlighting us in our entirety. I supported that stance, yet this comments seems to lend validity to the idea that black men in particular are failing as the male leaders of their families.

I'm going to need some clarity on that.

On the drag queen, I'm not that mild-mannered and like C. Nulan I probably would have had an internal discourse about that young man's life choices. However, as I've aged, I've made a conscious decision to stop sharing my opinion or feelings on everything with everybody because I've decided that I don't want them sharing their feelings or opinions with me. So, practicing the Golden Rule, I try to let folks do them.

Now, if their actions encroach on my quality of life, I will say something. I definitely would have told my son that sort of lifestyle is wrong in the eyes of God. But, I wouldn't have felt the need to subtly make an issue of this man's masculinity when he so clearly wants to embrace the fantasy that he is a woman. I wouldn't have called him "she" or "sister," but I wouldn't have made a point to call him "brother" or "man" as often as you did. A simple "Thank you and have a good day" would have sufficed for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shot out to Big Man!!!

What up Big Man.

Rockin the Mature Statement of the Month.

Shot out to DV for recognizing it.

Big Man said...

Thanks for the props