Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Intellectually Aggressive Statement of The Week

Hawa said...
Although I don't expect (or want) the government to legislate "good habits," I also expect better protective measures related to regulating the food supply.


One year, I took time to really research government-approved food additives. I am more than convinced that the tangled web we call "health and weight" leads to somebody's pocket.

How about this: MSG, labeled a "flavor enhancer" is actually a neurotransmitter added solely for the purpose of creating addiction to a particular food. Research the chemical.

High fructose corn syrup is an unnecessary, unhealthy super-sugar linked to increasing diabetes and heart disease.

And all of this creates life-long profits for pharmaceutical companies and many others (including folks involved in the approval process at all levels).

And I am far from being a conspiracy theorist. I look for the bright side of just about everything.

I don't expect the government to police my eating habits. But I also don't expect the government to (1) approve disease-causing additives as acceptable in the food supply and/or (2) profit from the ill effects of those approvals.

As TruthInLabeling.com put it:

"The FDA approves glutamate blocking drugs while at the same time the FDA approves glutamate containing food ingredients.

As a big supporter of "personal responsibility," I'm not naive enough to overlook potentially purposeful attempts to sabotage health and wellness for profits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, D.V.! See ya around in the blogosphere... :-)