Thursday, April 12, 2007


"Shibumi, sir?" Nicholai knew the word, but only as it applied to gardens or architecture, where it connoted an understated beauty. "How are you using the term, sir?"

"Oh, vaguely. And incorrectly, I suspect. A blundering attempt to describe an ineffable quality. As you know, shibumi has to do with great refinement underlying commonplace appearances. It is a statement so correct that it does not have to be bold, so poignant it does not have to be pretty, so true it does not have to be real. Shibumi is understanding, rather than knowledge. Eloquent silence. In demeanor, it is modesty without pudency. In art, where the spirit of shibumi takes the form of sabi, it is elegant simplicity, articulate brevity. In philosophy, where shibumi emerges as wabi, it is spiritual tranquility that is not passive; it is being without the angst of becoming. And in the personality of a man, it is . . . how does one say it? Authority without domination? Something like that."

Nicholai's imagination was galvanized by the concept of shibumi. No other ideal had ever touched him so. "How does one achieve this shibumi, sir?"

"One does not achieve it, one . . . discovers it. And only a few men of infinite refinement ever do that.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know if they ready for this. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I always envisioned Nicholai, as some mut, half breed type that was FINE AS HELL! Thought I'd share in the event any of the women have read the book.

Denmark Vesey said...

Jasai - yeah.

Dina - yeah.

Big J - after he graduates beyond his "Everything is Hip Hop's Fault" crusade.

-

Denmark Vesey said...

I always envisioned Nicholai, as some mut, half breed type that was FINE AS HELL! Thought I'd share in the event any of the women have read the book.

Robyn,

If Nicholai Hel had a baby with Nikki Giovani it would be me.

-

Anonymous said...

I can see that DV, I can defintely see that!

Anonymous said...

The teacher that made me read the book is author Montserrat Fontes. She always taught HS while pursuing her writing career. I guess she had a soft spot for smart ass kids in public school. She was/is regarded as a trailblazer in Chicana fiction as I understand it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the cover on my copy was ripped off too. Scary!

Denmark Vesey said...

Wow. That must have been one hell of a high school.

Anonymous said...

oh, now you will get a chick like me with THIS every time....

I'm on Amazon right now. Out!

Anonymous said...

and i am wholly flattered that you thought I had already read it. i'm on mine....

Intellectual Insurgent said...

I've never even heard of this book before. But I'm not all high falutin' like Robyn. :-)

I take it that it's a must read.