Monday, April 25, 2011

President Obama Needs To Man Up. Stop Playing The Role of Commander and Chief "Checked" By His Wife

President Obama used this morning's annual Easter Egg Roll to praise "a top aide who has worked with military families, sought to reduce childhood obesity, and is also keeping me in line." His wife.

This appears to be a reoccurring theme with the President and First Lady.  From the early days of the campaign to the last appearance on Oprah ... Michelle has played the part of the loving ... but less-than-impressed spouse.

Why must the black woman be portrayed as "keeping" the black man "in line".  As if a black wife is supposed to play the role of Negro overseer keeping their black husbands in "check".

The mainstream media's portrayal of the relationship between black men and black women ... from Weezy Jefferson to Aunt Edna to now the First Lady ... is more often or not a relationship of loving tension.  Constant gender conflict usually resolved by the black woman ... "checking" ... her man.

Eventually life imitates art.  Which is part of the reason so many brothers can't seem to Get. A. Chick.
MainKaracter said...
I hear you DV but this is a pervasive theme across the board. Heard of "happy wiffe happy life" "yes dear". 

I think more than anything it's has more to do with men of power allowing their spouse to a least believe they have the rein in certain aspects of this mans life. I for one understand it's value. And I see nothing wrong with it. A healthy dose of patronization goes a long way with the female species. Yo is that sista with the locs your wife? Gorgeous bruh. That's why I fux with you D vizzle
nicki nicki tembo said...
O, you know how we get down: patronize or placate, either way they're making adjustments for not manning their station. Such men may find it useful or necessary to lift their skirt to find their testicles! Taking care of thangs renders patronization unnecessary.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is Hot Wax to talk about the well-placed white rabbit in the photo? Reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland.

Yes, I know, it's easter, but something is funny about that photo.

Dina

Mainkaracter said...

I hear you DV but this is a pervasive theme across the board. Heard of "happy wiffe happy life" "yes dear". I think more than anything it's has more to do with men of power allowing their spouse to a least believe they have the rein in certain aspects of this mans life. I for one understand it's value. And I see nothing wrong with it. A healthy does of patronization goes a long way with the female species. Yo is that sista with the locs your wife? Gorgeous bruh. That's why I fux with you D vizzle

nicki nicki tembo said...

Sistah girl here has no need for a man that I'm always having to check whether I am capable or not. A real man should be able to effectively man his station in life else he's not husband material. Although I am aware of the power that we woman naturally have over our men it is for balance not lead. As a human I am adept at holding my own; as a woman my nature beckons me to "want a man lying over me, always over me. His will, his pleasure, his desire, his life, his work, his sexuality the touchstone, the command, my pivot". Damnit I love being a woman!

Seven Half Store said...

"A healthy does of patronization goes a long way with the female species."

Lol. goddamn right.

nicki nicki tembo said...

O, you know how we get down: patronize or placate, either way they're making adjustments for not manning their station. Such men may find it useful or necessary to lift their skirt to find their testicles! Taking care of thangs renders patronization unnecessary.

Seven Half Store said...

I hear ya nick. I simply think it's a pretty healthy balance when both man and woman feel as though their position is the one running things.

I mean, I wouldn't make a public spectacle of it. It's sexier just to keep it to myself.

He can sit over there and think he's running shit and hell sometimes that may very well be the case but other times WE ALL KNOW who is steering the ship. But NEVER is it necessary to speak of it.

Someone very wise once told me to always represent black love in public. RE-PRESENT

Mainkaracter said...

"Taking care of thangs renders patronization unnecessary."

Look up the word "healthy".

Main said...

Bang..exactly..

makheru bradley said...

Several news sources are reporting that a NATO bombing has killed the youngest son of Muammar Qaddafi and three of his grandchildren. Per the reports the Colonel and his wife were visiting his son in a residential neighborhood of Tripoli when they were targeted by NATO.

I suppose the Devil's Son is satisfied, but there is such a thing in this world as Divine Reciprocity. "The chickens always come home to roost."