Monday, June 29, 2009

Later For Keats, Shakespeare and Joyce. Langston Hughes Was A Lame. Hip Hop Is The Only Art That Matters

Mahndisa said ...
I agree with The Doc Misses MJ. For God's sakes, DV you are acting like Jesse B. Semple right now with that Langston Hughes comment!
"Simple on Indian Blood"

Actor Ossie Davis reads "Simple on Indian Blood," one of the "Simple" stories of Langston Hughes. Famous today for his poetry, Hughes also wrote protest columns. Jesse B. Semple, Hughes's quintessential Harlem resident, first appeared in the Chicago Defender newspaper. Semple's character became popular nationwide and over his lifetime Hughes produced five books and a Broadway play based on the "Simple Stories." Often set as dialogues, the humorous stories feature an overly reasonable, conciliatory narrator who comes into conflict with the outspoken and intransigent Jesse B. Semple.

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you.

Langston Hughes


This is anti autotune, death of the ringtone,
this ain’t for itunes, this ain’t for sing alongs,
this is Sinatra at the opera, bring a blonde,
preferably with a fat ass who can sing a song, wrong,

this aint politcally correct,
this might offend my political connects,
my raps don’t have melodies,
this should make jackers
wanna go and commit felonies, ahh
get your chain tooken, I may do it myself - I’m so Brooklyn.

I know we facing a recession,
but the music y’all making going make it the great depression.
All y’all lack aggression put your skirt back down, grow a set man.
Yeah this just violent,
this is the death of autotune,
moment of silence.
S. Carter

6 comments:

The Doc Misses MJ said...

How you gonna know where you're going if you don't know where you've been, DV?

"Langston Hughes was a lame."

Wow, man, there's just so much wrong with that statement.

Without the Harlem Renaissance, i'd argue there'd be no hip hop, or if there were, it'd be drastically different than what we see today.

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

I agree with The Doc Misses MJ. For God's sakes, DV you are acting like Jesse B. Semple right now with that Langston Hughes comment!

Big Man said...

The fact that DV made that Langston Hughes comment was proof he was painfully unaware of Jesse B. Semple.

Hughes was talking about the same stuff rappers talk about with that character. About scrabbling, about making tough decisions when right and wrong is blurred, about just getting by. And he did it in a humorous and insightful manner.

drizzay2008 said...

You know what im a "white" girl and i love every person i meet no matter what you look like or what you believe, WE ARE ALL THE SAME FUCKING ORGANISMS .... but i do have something to say to the "black" people, did martin luther king use guns? does obama? NO! its the path yall took ..probally at an early age you were young as fuck... weapons are bad ...theres gonna be crime never the less but theres good and evil its what you act on but if i were yall id put up my fists and fight like real men

Big Man said...

drizzay

Sweetie, were you lost?

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, were you lost?

roflmao!!!