Sunday, April 26, 2009

If God Wanted To Play Some Ball ... This Is What It Would Look Like

“I never felt like I deserved to be part of our tradition because I grew up in Italy,” he wrote of his relationship with the black community, mirroring some of Barack Obama’s thoughts in Dreams From My Father. “I never truly believed myown people wanted to identify with me. I didn’t feel part of the everyday struggle that African-Americans were going through because I wasn’t subject to racial discrimination or racial profiling or inner-city streets and everything that it entailed,” he insisted. “How am I going to identify with that when I grew up in an environment that didn’t see colour and where there was no racial discrimination? It wasn’t there in Italy. Everybody just had a good time with each other. So when I came back to the United States, I thought, ‘How can people look at me to be a leader for this group or this generation when I don’t have a voice that pertains to that?’”
Sounds to me like a brother who escaped the booby trap myths of a Global System of White Supremacy. Do your thing Kobe.

8 comments:

uglyblackjohn said...

Nah... this years championship will be a King (LeBron) James Version.

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

04 27 09

I am not much of a basketball watcher, I prefer to shoot hoops myself. BUT I can respect this statement. As much as I don't like our President, he is similar to Kobe as you've pointed out because he didn't have that baggage that so many Black Americans have. We believed that we couldn't do it so didn't produce viable candidates in the past. Obama wasn't raised with those negative non-expectations so he could excel further. Although I am not happy about this.

To be honest, I still don't think we have a Black President, only a Black first lady. This is just looking at the heritage of folks and shared common experiences...You've heard this all before.

Anonymous said...

Nice, Kobe.

Submariner said...

To be honest, I still don't think we have a Black President, only a Black first lady. This is just looking at the heritage of folks and shared common experiences
Say what?

Pink said...

IMO there is no "shared common experience" that equals a Black experience. We are all diverse. O isn't excluded from being black because of where he was raised. My experience as a Black woman growing up in Cambridge, MA is different than a Black male in Brooklyn or in Alabama... who's the "blackest"? Where you grow up doesn't make you any more/less black.

superhead said...

"Obama wasn't raised with those negative non-expectations so he could excel further."

Not to mention he was groomed by Zbig & had his IQ boosted with 50% white DNA. Note that most articulate Black intellectuals are high-yella with hella lotta white blood.

lawegohard said...

Another infamous quote by Kobe from Wiki:

Bryant said he stopped having intercourse with her after he asked if he could "cum on her face", and she said no. When the investigator asked him if he always liked to ejaculate on his partner’s face, Bryant sounded embarrassed, stating “That’s my thing, not always, I mean, so I stopped. Jesus Christ man (inaudible).”[2]

lawegohard said...

Note to Kobe: if you have to ask her about a bukaki, she probably doesn't want it.