Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Michael Fisher Conundrum

DELILAH, MELODIE (parents from Jamaica) and URSULA >> Melodie (centre): "When I was younger, I received negative remarks by both White and Black people because of my colour. Some Black people thought I was mixed race and gave me a hard time about that. I also encountered racism from White people. My parents are both from the Caribbean and both are Black. This experience has helped shape my life because now I just associate with nice people of any colour. I teach my girls (whose father is from the U.K) to just like decent people who accept them as they are." Delilah (left): "I feel fine about being mixed race and I feel different when I see everybody. I like looking different with my skin colour. I am different inside." Ursula (right): "I like being mixed race because I like the colour of my skin. That's how I am."

No comments: