Thursday, August 14, 2008

Diversity of Opinion

Michael Fisher said...
If you want an alternative to the steak thing check out the Hebrew Israelite's restaurant in the West End across the street from the Shrine of the Black Madonna. The food is excellent.
Wesley Gibson
said...
Soul Vegetarian is hands down the worst restaurant I've ever eaten at. I was fooled into spending my meager chips there while student at Morehouse. I mean I'm all for political "consciousness" or whatever, but not when it comes to my taste buds. ::shudders::: Greens without hamhocks? Gluten free ANYTHING? That stuff tastes like soul food colored paper.
RJEsq said...
I was hoping yall would have had a chance to meet. I was also hoping The Good Nurse would be present to bring some sense to the meeting. :-)

I feel Wesley. If I'm eatin' soul food let it be soul food. If I'm feelin' vegetarian that day, no need to try and incorporate candied yams into the plan when some nice mixed greens or tofu will do.
Denmark Vesey said ...
Actually you right Robyn.

This type of "vegetarian" is what we call Entry Level vegetarian. It's in that stage where "vegetarian" is imitation industrialized food:

soy BURGERS
gluten-free BUNS
tofo - CHICKEN
veggie - Hot Dogs
soy - Turkey
soy - Cheese

The theory is that unless you make vegetarian food look like chicken ... negros won't eat it ... roughly.

Americans, particularly black people, have been eating industrialized food for so long, many of us have forgotten what real food tastes like. If somebody fed you cardboard and plastic for years, and then gave you salad, of course you are going to spit it out.

Therefor the business model is one that attempts to lure negros away from the hamhocks for 5 minutes, to realize they won't die if they stop eating flesh.

Hopefully, a fraction of processed food eaters will graduate beyond the entry level and discover the most delicious food in the world is made raw organic natural ingredients.

I found the greens over cooked the yams too rich and cornbread unnecessary. But I dug the black Hebrews. They make more sense than most black people. Look healthier too.

I'm scared of Sista Nurse. I might catch a feelin'.

12 comments:

Wesley Gibson said...

Yo man, I ain't with that Baduism.

Denmark Vesey said...

LOL!

Baduism

Michael Fisher said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I was thinking of coming down there, but ended up having to concentrate on the currently extremely volatile financial markets.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping yall would have had a chance to meet. I was also hoping The Good Nurse would be present to bring some sense to the meeting. :-)

Anonymous said...

I feel Wesley. If I'm eatin' soul food let it be soul food. If I'm feelin' vegetarian that day, no need to try and incorporate candied yams into the plan when some nice mixed greens or tofu will do.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely right on the reasoning of entry level vegetarianism. LOL at the term.

While not a vegetarian, I learned very young how good it all can taste.

My father, who you know is from Jamaica, regularly served us curry tofu.....in like 1983, well before it was fashionable to do so.

He had negros inviting themselves over for dinner, and little white kids from school askin if they could come live with us.

Denmark Vesey said...

lol. wow. Pops was hip.

Tell him Big Ups

G M said...

I dug the black Hebrews. They make more sense than most black people.

I agree. :D

Wesley Gibson said...

See, I can agree with the entry level vegetarian idea. I'll confess up front that not only do I not have a problem with bio-engineered food, I encourage it. Further, I think the only problem with roids is that they haven't figured out how to make them safe for everyone. HGH for all. Thats progress.

On the other hand, I don't understand the concept of a "meat-substitute" vegetarian dish. To me it just lacks creativity. I take pride in the fact that I can cook in nearly every western style, from french to soul food to fusion. To me making a vegan dish is about highlighting the natural flavor of the vegetables, not expressing myself politically. That soul veg stuff to me is just confusion of purpose.

I'm rambling. Anyway, what'd you think of ATL DV? Aren't you an LA guy? I'm rolling out to the left coast in early september. Any suggestions?

Denmark Vesey said...

That's good shit Wes. You a smart cat.

LA?

Hal's - Venice.

Hit me up.

the good nurse said...

DV,
If I would have known u desired home cooked vegetarian cooked by a sista w/ much soul..I would have opened my kitchen to you while u were here in ATL....Soul Vegitarian's primary goal is to make a profit..not feed the soul..

Anonymous said...

You gonna have a list a mile long when it comes to LA Wes.

Start with requests for recommendations now.