Tuesday, March 18, 2008

God's Son Defuses The Deadly Bomb of Racism and Dispells The Myth of White Supremacy

“I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe. These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love.”

In fact, a similar anger exists within segments of the white community. Most working- and middle-class white Americans don’t feel that they have been particularly privileged by their race. Their experience is the immigrant experience – as far as they’re concerned, no one’s handed them anything, they’ve built it from scratch. They’ve worked hard all their lives, many times only to see their jobs shipped overseas or their pension dumped after a lifetime of labor. They are anxious about their futures, and feel their dreams slipping away; in an era of stagnant wages and global competition, opportunity comes to be seen as a zero sum game, in which your dreams come at my expense. So when they are told to bus their children to a school across town; when they hear that an African American is getting an advantage in landing a good job or a spot in a good college because of an injustice that they themselves never committed; when they’re told that their fears about crime in urban neighborhoods are somehow prejudiced, resentment builds over time.

Brother Obama strikes at the heart of what the champions of "Global System of White Supremacy" do not understand when they naively project the advantages of class and social privilege onto all whites regardless of circumstance or experience.
RJEsq said...
Obama managed to capture the truth of race relations in this country. He portrayed, all in the same speech, the public and private thoughts of both Black and white Americans. I cant think of a more honest confrontation of the issue of race in America in my lifetime.

5 comments:

Wesley Gibson said...

Oh my god. We have just witnessed a "Braveheart" Moment. That man is fearless.

Denmark Vesey said...

Wesley ...

YOU
AINT LYING

I mean damn.

I'm more impressed with this cat than I am with myself.

And if you aint notice ... DV like some DV.

CNu said...

Baraka's City of Brotherly Love....,

Anonymous said...

Obama managed to capture the truth of race relations in this country. He portrayed, all in the same speech, the public and private thoughts of both Black and white Americans. I cant think of a more honest confrontation of the issue of race in America in my lifetime.

Anonymous said...

I too must applaud the brother for STARTING the conversation in a rational fashion. Perhaps this can indeed lead to some serious discourse and solutions.

But don't delude yourself into thinking that Barak said something regarding GSWS that contradicts or refutes the logical and factual basis for my understanding. I'm gonna check you every time you misrepresent me. Not once have I ever said that all white people benefit equally and/or economically from the operation of a GSWS. I'm neither naive, stupid, or blind, and you would have to be all three not to know that there are different classes within all groups. The system needs poor whites to maintain the overt tension needed to cloak the covert mechanics of power. In fact, the excellent quote you provide regarding how poor whites are made to feel as though this is a zero sum game and that it's them against the Blacks is a perfect example of my understanding of how the system operates. It also illustrates perfectly why the system must be understood and combated at it's core principles.

Can Barak speak that truth and many others even more painful to the wealthy elite powers that control this country? Maybe he has the cojones, maybe he'll get the opportunity.