Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Intellectually Aggressive Statement of The Week (Finally, some subtlety)

Denmark Vesey
Humanitarian Award
MJB said...
It seems that lately I've heard the words 'dumb' and 'stupid' to describe a lot of athletes and entertainers lately. It seems much more frequent and full of disdain this summer. I can't put my finger on it...but something just doesn't smell right about it to me. I can't believe how many times I've heard black folks call Mike Vick those things.
It seems to me most people use words like 'not that smart', 'not that bright', 'misguided', 'out of their league' or something that seems less loaded. Or even beyond that, rather than just calling the person those things, applying them to the act 'he acted in a way that wasn't that smart', 'his moves weren't the brightest', 'he lacked wisdom in these decisions'.

Even when the Mainstream media is being what they are, bias and all, in reporting or not reporting a story this is one nuance where the black on black language seems a bit more inflammatory. Maybe that is owed to the fact that those words would sound unprofessional in that context.

What if some of these folks really do lack in certain types of brain functioning that I guess we call 'intelligence'? What if some of them really aren't that 'smart' by society's standards? What if there are chemicals (internal and external) in play that we don't even know of yet?

Still though, ALL of these folks who get 'caught up' aren't dumb. Not every single one, I just can't see the numbers working out that way. I understand the next argument about well, yes they could all be dumb because there is a reason they were allowed to become visible, a certain type of negroe I guess. Even some sell-outs aren't dumb though. Oprah's not dumb. LOL And for T.I. in particular he has exhibited intelligence in his marketing and promotional strategies over the years, a lot of which he is directly responsible for.

Again, something just doesn't smell right with the increasing use of those words in regards to people who make mistakes or are 'caught up' or are prone to being human...

3 comments:

LAW said...

If I told yall that I was selling some hot 50 inch HD plasmas for $500 everybody would want one. After you took it home and enjoyed your favorite program , I then would proceed to have the police run up in your house and arrest you for receiving stolen goods. After it made your local and possibly national news, everybody would discuss how stupid you were and that you had the money to go buy the damn TV in the first place.

Denmark Vesey said...

Exactly Brother Law!

Monday morning quarterbacks.

But why the eagerness to describe other black people as "dumb"? What's next - "lazy"?

Anonymous said...

dumb is dumb, why bother with semantics.