Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Halle Berry Apologizes for "Anti-Semitic" Remark On Jay Leno

Group Think Thought Police Strike Again

Actress HALLE BERRY has been forced to issue a public apology after making an apparent anti-Semitic joke on THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO. During the taping for Friday's show (19Oct07), the Oscar-winning star was showing Leno distorted images of herself on a computer, when she said: "Here's where I look like my Jewish cousin!" as a picture of her with a large nose appeared. When the joke received no laughs from the audience, Leno quipped, "I'm glad you said that and not me" - Berry requested the footage be scrapped. However, an audience member tells New York gossip column, PageSix, "Ms. Berry should know how unbelievably inappropriate her comment was. She should be ashamed of herself." But Berry insists she did not intend to cause offence. She says, "I so didn't mean to offend anybody - and after the show I realised it could be seen as offensive, so I asked Jay to take it out, and he did. "What happened was I was backstage before the show and I have three girls who are Jewish who work for me. We were going through pictures to see which ones looked silly, and one of my Jewish friends said (of the big-nose picture), 'That could be your Jewish cousin!' And I guess it was fresh in my mind, and it just came out of my mouth. But I didn't mean to offend anybody. I didn't. I didn't mean any harm. Please God." The scene was cut from the show.

13 comments:

CNu said...

If I recall correctly, her mother is jewish too. Seem's to me she's clearly "authorized" to make that remark without any fear of recrimination whatsoever...,

Denmark Vesey said...

But CNu,

Is that really the issue? Who can, and who cannot use a word?

I think the issue is the hyper-sensitivity the MSM and America's conformist clones exercise for some groups - and general insensitivity we exercise towards other groups effectively creates a de facto pyramid of group power in this nation.

As opposed to "One Nation, Under God, Indivisible, with Life Liberty and Justice FOR ALL -

We seem to have Many Nations, Not Under God, Divided, with Life Liberty and Justice especially for Jews and Gays and little justice for Muslims, blacks or Latinos.

Anonymous said...

everyone's looking to be offended these days.

i'll use some of my favorite Kanye lyrics for this one:

"They say I talk with so much emphasis
Ooh, they so sensitive
Don't ever fix your lips like collagen
Then say something where you gon end up apolog'in
Let me know if it's a problem then
A'ight man, holla then."

Denmark Vesey said...

Ahhh

Nice Kalena

Anonymous said...

I guess she'll be jobless from now on...

Anonymous said...

Unnecessary furor ..... more important things happenning in the world!

Anonymous said...

Why are there 3 jewish girls working for her? SMH.

Thats all I retained from the article.

Axinar said...

Oh, come now, Denmark ... can you imagine the RIOT that would have gotten started if a Jewish actress had made some off-color comment about features often associated with African-Americans??

Intellectual Insurgent said...

Axinar's comment pretty much sums up the sad state of affairs in America today - everyone is a hypersensitive cry baby just waiting to be offended by anything and everything.

In fact, it's a competition to see who is more deserving of an apology.

"Well, Blacks would have demanded one, therefore Jews deserve one too."

Pathetic.

Denmark Vesey said...

Ummm ... that's a good question Ax.

How would the brothas and sistas respond if "Sarah Silverman said here's a picture of my black cousin with the big ass"?

Fair enough question Ax. Gotta give you that one.

Anonymous said...

Leave Halle alone. She's currently my favorite actress for the last few years, and I have her Catwoman adorning a door in my apartment.

I used to be ignorant and throw slurs around because I didn't really know any better, what I knew was it was ok to use those words at home, but not in public. At some point, it dawned on me that there was a reason for that, and I became deeply offended myself, at these labels being attached to people I very much liked. In the last third of my life, I've encountered a group of people who, like the Southpark characters are pretty diverse, and also like Southpark Characters, make fun of everyone, equally, which means that we make fun of ourselves. I can call a German friend a Nazi, or an American friend a dumb American or a gay friend a fag, and that's fine, they respond in kind; but there's a comaraderie there that doesn't really exist for some other friends and myself.

Life's too short to go 'round being angry all the time. It's taken a while, to get here but I've learned to laugh at some of my frustrations. What else ya gonna do?

By the way, loved the Condie comment; someone needs to check her.

Denmark Vesey said...

Welcome Nut,

Glad you liked the Condi piece.

Stick around for awhile, soon you will see 'anger' is not one of my issues.

Propaganda, memes and media are my concern.

You see name calling. I see overreaction to some people called some names and the inherent dangers of establishing a thought police.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Thanks for the warm welcome. That comment was for everyone picking on poor Halle.

I like your blog, and I'm really glad you allowed non-member comments, I've been waiting for that forever.

Grab my YIM address from Ax if you're inclined, I also share your conspiracy theories. :)