Thursday, October 18, 2007

Detroit DJ Raises Furor Over 'Light-Skinned Black Women' Party

A Detroit DJ and promoter is backing down from plans to sponsor a party at a local club that would allow “light skinned” black women into the bash for free, according to a report in The Detroit News.

Promoter Ulysses “DJ Lish” Barnes cancelled the event at Detroit’s Club APT after word of the party spread on the Internet, triggering a flood of angry emails and phone calls from around the country and highlighting tensions that sometimes flare between darker-skinned and lighter-skinned African-Americans.

“I made a mistake,” Barnes, who describes himself as a “dark-skinned” African-American, told the Detroit News. “I didn’t think there would be a backlash.”

"I didn't mean to offend anyone," he said. "I had planned a party for other shades (of black women). We were going to take a shade of color each week. Next week was going to be a party for 'Sexy Chocolate' and the week after that ‘Sexy Caramel.'”

Barnes told the Detroit News that he plans to host an event to raise money for a charity to make up for any problems or pain he caused over the party flier.

Kimberly said...
Personally, I am not offended by it at all.
Tacky? Even that's subjective.I just know I would saved the entrance fee for bar money on Sexy Chocolate Sunday.

Kimberly, that attitude is ... uh ... sexy. Not a trace of "offended victim". Nice

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very politically incorrect.

But in reality, distinctions are made between the various shades of black in the African American community.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I am not offended by it at all.

Tacky? Even that's subjective.

I just know I would saved the entrance fee for bar money on Sexy Chocolate Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Intersting... I never hear the second generation Sicilians get upset with the Irish about skin tone in all my days. Why black folk? As a matter of fact the Irish wish they could get darker.

the good nurse said...

Casper. Please. Were u born here in the US? Have u read any history books? There is a reason that race and color is such a touchy subject in America. Dude please.
the good nurse(black and comely)

Anonymous said...

Brown paper bag anyone??

Anonymous said...

Again, the part that always appalls me is when people say they didnt think anyone would be offended. I almost want to study that phenomenon. But as for the party, I wasnt offended. However I acknowledge that I am conveniently situated in the middle of the color spectrum. Kind of like not having a horse in the race. I just SMH when I read about it on another site. Honestly, I thought it had to have been fake.

Anonymous said...

Say it loud!. I am black and I am proud!

- James Brown

Anonymous said...

um. i think it was a stupid idea. but why didn't he make it clear that it was the first of a series celebrating the different shades of beautiful black women? maybe he should have said 'sexy red' or something like that. i don't know. it's just stupid really. and why do people care? if you weren't planning on going to the party, and if the fliers weren't paid for with tax dollars (lol) who cares?

it's detroit for God's sake. expect foolery.

Denmark Vesey said...

Personally,

I'm kind of dig people who dig themselves.

Therefor few celebrations of 'self' offend me.

Back in the day if a bunch of Octaroon brothas were hosting a party for light-skinned girls, I'd laugh, crash the party and steal their women.

I'd be on some "no need to argue about it ... Chad, let Darwin takes it's course."

lol


There is a blog only for black women married to white men. My man Mike Fisher used to go there all pissed off and raise hell.

I'm like, let 'em be.

Anonymous said...

what color is Octaroon? LOL

Anonymous said...

high yella.

Anonymous said...

Got it. thanks.

Axinar said...

I'm thinking we ought to have a National Ethnic Ambiguity Day. :)

Denmark Vesey said...

Axinar said...

I'm thinking we ought to have a National Ethnic Ambiguity Day. :)


That's interesting Ax ...

"ethnic ambiguity"


Why?

paul said...

What a joke. Don't believe the hype and be bamboozled and lead astray to think that "white is right." Another divide and conquer tactic. I love my sistas in ALL shades of color from purple to brown to red bone.

Anonymous said...

But the reality is, that a premium is put on light skinned gals! Especially by successful black males, thus the uproar.

Anonymous said...

Uh, accra... don't forget the ridiculous one about how light skinned folks only travel in high yella packs. LOL

You know I'm a very light skinned PROUD, black woman. I never sought "special treatment" based on my skin tone and, trust me, I've never gotten it.

More importantly, I don't tolerate racists, black folks with inferiority complexes, or those with an exaggerated sense of self or entitlement - whatever the skin tone.

The light-skinned themed party was ignorant and brotha got called on it. Lesson learned.

I say we let this go and focus our attention - and anger - on some real shit, starting with the senseless violence in our communities.

Denmark Vesey said...

Intellectually Aggressive and refreshingly unapologetic Denise.

I like that.

Especially: "More importantly, I don't tolerate racists, black folks with inferiority complexes, or those with an exaggerated sense of self or entitlement - whatever the skin tone."

Anonymous said...

@ Denise, I totally concur!
It's a ridiculous hangover from the days of colonialism and slavery.