Monday, December 11, 2006

The Wire



Last night HBO aired the season finale of The Wire. There really is no reason to watch TV again until next season.

If you don’t watch The Wire, you are unfortunate.

If you don’t like The Wire, there is something wrong with you.

Calling it “the best show on television” doesn’t do it justice. More novel, than TV Show, The Wire is among the most accomplished art this country has produced since Miles Davis recorded “Kind of Blue” and Marlon Brando did his thing in “On The Waterfront”.

What is often overlooked, is that The Wire presents more positive portrayals of black men than any other show produced by corporate media. Yes, most of the black male characters are drug dealers, addicts, gangsters or compromised cops. However, despite the coincidences of their various occupations, the black men on the show are portrayed as something rarely seen on TV – as human beings. They are ambivalent, complex, subtle, cunning and often principled. The Wire does not patronize the audience with cookie cutter “good guys” and one-dimensional over the top ‘thug for the sake of thug’ bad guys.

At a time when the mass media shoves T.O. down our throats as the prevailing image of the black American man, I’m happy to see Avon Barksdale, Stringer Bell and Marlo Stansfield.

The Wire is critically acclaimed though it typically draws only about 1.5 million viewers a week - a small audience when compared with 15 million for Fox's 24. Marx was right. The masses are basically ignorant.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to buy the show on DVD. Never got into The Wire and now I feel like I've lived in a cave all year....

BTW, are those your parents in the picture on the right?

Denmark Vesey said...

Robyn. You don't miss much, do you?

I understand I missed the soiree this weekend. My apologies. I really wanted to make that. My sons were playing wise men and baby girl was The Virgin Mary in a church play. If I missed their debut I would have gotten jumped. Congratulations to Sasha for me.

Let’s run it back. This time my cousin and I will host.

But you must peep The Wire first. It’s poetic. Start with Season I.

Anonymous said...

DV, no prob about Saturday. The Wise Men and Virgin Mary DEFINITELY come first. I've forwarded all emails (mine, Sasha's and Karmel's) to you through Jasai. I'll be on the look out for an invite and I'll try and get to The Wire soon.

Anonymous said...

i started this series last week (finished episodes 1-5 of seson 1.) Amazing. All of the characters are compelling and my utter jones for Black Men of all stripes is fully exposed as i sit in awe of the great beauty that He is.

and the uncle, avon....my goodness.

Denmark Vesey said...

"and the uncle, avon....my goodness." Jasai

LOL.

Unle Avon is played by Wood Harris, who is an old friend of mine. We went to his home last month for his daughter's birthday party. He showed me some of his art. The man is an amazing painter. His pieces will hang in museums soon.

Jaime Fox is not the only multi-talented brother out there doing his thing.

-

Anonymous said...

"Jaime Fox is not the only multi-talented brother out there doing his thing"

This show makes that statement glaringly evident. There is an amazing array of talent there.