Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Even in death ... Still The Godfather of Soul 1933-2006


Ladies ands Gentlemen,

There are seven acknowledged wonders of the world.

You are about to witness the eighth.Standing in the spotlight, on showcase, twelve young men, who have given you such tunes as [drum roll] "The Grunt", Pass The Peas", "Gimme Some More".

Ladies and Gentlemen, without no doubt, these are the J.B.'s !

“The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing”.

“I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know.”

“Sometimes you struggle so hard to feed your family one way, you forget to feed them the other way, with spiritual nourishment. Everybody needs that.”

“When I'm on stage, I'm trying to do one thing: bring people joy. Just like church does. People don't go to church to find trouble, they go there to lose it.”

“It doesn't matter how you travel it, it's the same road. It doesn't get any easier when you get bigger, it gets harder. And it will kill you if you let it.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously, JB was before my time, but I have distinct memories of my family playin Bid Whis (sp?) with James Brown blaring in the background. The rule was if the card happened to be thrown on the floor, you didnt pick it up, you play'd the rest of the hand on the floor too.....

Denmark Vesey said...

Bid Whis on the floor? Robyn, your family was tough!

JB may have been before your time (youngin), but he was also during your time and will be here after your time.

James Brown's unique combination of soul, musicality and hard work transcends time, place and genre.

Anonymous said...

Youre right about JB, Ima' get to downloadin when I get home this evening, have to get many of his hits in the library.

Hope the holidays were good!

Anonymous said...

I love James Brown. His groove was FUNKY and his dancin' was unique. He is in the catogory of "one of a kind." James, Sam Cooke, etc. are my kind of brothas. These new cats ain't cuttin' for my old black soul.